Email list building, grow your email list, how to amp up your email list growth – these challenges are very well known to every modern marketer.
Email marketing: it’s the most powerful tool in your communications and customer-conversion toolbox. And although creative and engaging emails may be important once a recipient opens your message, your email program’s key asset is your subscriber list. If you don’t have a framework to collect, manage, and support new opt-ins, you’re only halfway there.
Here are 10 proven ways to entice and attract new subscribers in order to grow your email list.
- Add a lightbox form to your site. Usually companies experience a 99% increase in subscriber growth after adding a pop-over opt-in form.
- Create an amazing, value-packed opt-in incentive: a full-length eGuide or white paper.
Valuable blog content + clear calls-to-action = massive email list #marketingtips
— Social Network Bible (@SocialNetBible) December 13, 2015
- Offer the webinar recording as an opt-in incentive: Make signing up a requirement for downloading or viewing the recording.
- Create multiple offers on your site to improve your segmentation: Offer several different opt-in incentives for different segments of your audience. This will increase the number of people who sign up, and improve the relevance of the emails you send to your subscribers.
- Make the “What’s in it for me?” crystal clear.
- Offer an exclusive subscriber-only discount and promote it on social media.
- Mention an influential Twitter user in your newsletter, and then tweet about it: Hopefully that influencer will then retweet it to his or her followers.
- Add a sign-up form to your Facebook Page.
- Hold a contest, and make joining your list a contest requirement.
- Make the sign-up as quick and painless as possible: Use a sign-up form rather than a link to a sign-up form, wherever possible. Every additional step you incorporate into the process is one more chance to lose your subscriber.
TIP: Ask for an email anywhere: website, order form, phone, customer orders, Social Media, in person, etc.
8 steps to manage your email list:
Through these eight simple-to-follow, well-defined steps, you create and manage your opt-in list—whether you’re starting from scratch or simply improving your existing email marketing program.
- Establish permission standards by identifying desired data you’d like to gather for your database and by selecting appropriate opt-in protocols.
- Identify your email program’s value for targeted potential contacts and articulate the key benefits of opting in to your list.
- Centralize preferences by creating an opt-in management center for list members that provides and records member data and permission details.
- Define your resources, determine your technology and staff needs, and allocate assets for storing, accessing, and managing your list.
- Map a plan for growing list opt-ins, including the degree of permission for each, and your quantity and quality goals by source.
- Validate opt-in addresses, beginning with selecting the data-verification processes for deliverable, accurate email addresses.
- Create rules for list usage, frequency of contact, and delivery; plus, plan a process for handling bounces.
- Develop a plan for list maintenance and governance, including a regular data-hygiene schedule for your list.
Which methods do you use to glow your email list? What have you used for your own site to attract email subscribers? We’d love to hear from you.
P.S. If you liked this post, you might enjoy our newsletter. Receive each new post delivered right to your inbox, plus our can’t-miss weekly alert of the marketer’s best reads. Sign up here and get The Best Marketing Resources Guide for free!